|In 2011, the City of Janesville retrofitted its Municipal Building with higher efficiency equipment as well as optimized existing equipment through new technologies. Energy efficiency upgrades at the Municipal Building included:
• Installation of a new high efficiency chiller;
• Installation of variable frequency drivers to allow each pump or fan to vary their speed based on existing demand;
• Conversion of pneumatic controls to Direct Digital Controls (DCC) to optimize building temperature based on building occupancy;
• Replacement of heating and chiller water coils; and
• Installation of a higher-efficiency lighting systems with occupancy sensors.
The project’s utilization of higher efficiency equipment coupled with the optimization of chiller motor speed based on demand created energy savings that resulted in lower greenhouse gas emissions.